Communication Leader's Notes (PDF) - Minutes from September 12, 2013 Kick-off Meeting
Meeting highlights and resources:
- Forty parishioners from the Parish Transformation team attended the meeting led by Msgr. Jim Kaczorowski and the facilitator, Deacon Bill Smyser from St. Aloysius Parish. Each member of the team received the Parish Transformation Mission Workbook.
- The opening prayer was offered for the intercession of St. Peter Claver, a Jesuit missionary to the Americas who ministered to Africans brought into port to be sold as slaves. While he did not know where his ministry would take him when he left home, he was open to the grace of the Holy Spirit — an excellent model for our faith during this Parish Transformation process. The prayer was based on Matthew 25:35-36: "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me."
- Msgr. Jim shared his hopes for the initiative and introduced the members of the Steering Committee: Tom Donnelly, Mission; Chris Callahan, Finances; Matt Persohn, School; and Rachel Hohner, Communications Leader. During Parish Transformation, the Holy Spirit will help identify the individual who will lead implementation efforts after this 12-week period.
- Time was spent introducing each other in order to get to know the team we would be working with over the next few months. Team members include parishioners representing a broad range of experiences in the life of the parish. Some had attended for forty years and others for fewer than two. Many cited strong feelings of community as the reason that they have stayed at Queen of Angels. Others remarked on the beautiful liturgies, strength of the parish school, and experiences in particular parish groups.
- The team viewed and discussed a 7-minute "Welcome to Parish Transformation" video with testimonials from pastors and parishioners at parishes who have already completed the Parish Transformation process.
View on YouTube at http://youtu.be/M6k1oXan6JE.
- With the help of Deacon Bill, the team reviewed the process we will follow on our journey this fall (Parish Transformation Overview). We will use the next few weeks to reflect prayerfully on the mission to which we are called as a parish community. This will include reflection on the seven building blocks of parish mission: Missionary Spirit, Call to Holiness, Spiritual Stewardship, Evangelization, Catechesis, Prayer and Worship, and Communion. After 6 weeks, the team will choose one to three building blocks, or “pearls of great price,” as our focus for future efforts. Then the team will split up into the three groups focusing on Mission, Finances and School. These groups will do further reflection and then work on formulating an action plan.
- Schedule of meetings as of September 12
- Reflection on patience in the Parish Transformation process (Mission Workbook, pp. 6-7)
- The team expressed interest in deepening the prayer associated with Parish Transformation process by praying individually for these efforts during the week. The wider parish community will also be invited to prayer for Parish Transformation, especially through the Prayers of the Faithful at Sunday Masses.
Team Members: The next meeting will be 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Thursday, September 19.