In this Year of Teens and Young Adults, we continue to recognize and celebrate the gifts of young Catholics while calling them to greater participation in the life of the parish. Teen parishioners prepare for the Sacrament of Confirmation, receive honors from their Catholic high schools, and lead their peers on Kairos retreats. Young adults are invited to take part in a Super Bowl Party at neighboring St. Benedict Parish.
Next Saturday, February 4, Bishop Alberto Rojas will come to Queen of Angels to administer the Sacrament of Confirmation to 41 young people of our parish. These candidates for Confirmation attend our parish school, 19 public and charter schools, or are home schooled. All parishioners are invited to join us for the Mass at 1 p.m. in the church. As part of their preparation to receive this sacrament, candidates have:
- attended evening classes with interactive activities, Scripture study, guest witness talks, group faith-sharing discussions, creative projects, panel discussions and prayer;
- selected Confirmation names, either taking on a saint as their personal patron by adopting that saint’s name or re-choosing the Baptismal name given to them by their parents;
- chosen Catholic relatives, neighbors, family friends, or their godparents to be their Confirmation Sponsors who will walk with them on their journey of faith;
- written letters to Bishop Rojas, requesting personally to be Confirmed;
- completed at least 10 hours of Christian service, particularly feeding the hungry and helping community groups;
- attended a six-hour retreat on Saturday, November 5. During the retreat, the candidates and their catechists walked as pilgrims to Our Lady of Lourdes Parish to present prayers of petition they had written and to pray in the grotto.
Please pray this week for these young men and women as they become fully initiated members of our Catholic Church.
* * * * *
Congratulations to Ambrose Donnelly ‘12, who achieved Honors with Distinction and his brother Liam Donnelly ‘15, who earned First Honors at St. Ignatius College Prep. Way to go, guys, and keep up the good work!
* * * * *
NORTH SIDE KAIROS SEEKS LEADERS
North Side Kairos 13 is currently looking for high school or first year college students for their leadership team. Applicants must:
- have already attended a Kairos retreat, such as through a Catholic high school or at a parish;
- be open to lead as part of a diverse team of youth and adults for this co-ed, multi-parish experience; and
- complete a leader application and return it to the retreat coordinators by Saturday, February 25.
Chosen leaders will receive thorough leadership training in the late spring and summer to prepare them for the peer-to-peer retreat. This is a great opportunity for teens to grow in faith, develop communication skills and gain experience in leading others.
The retreat will take place August 10-13 at Bellarmine Hall in Barrington. North Side Kairos is a joint effort of youth and adults at several north side and suburban parishes, including Queen of Angels. To receive an application or learn more, visit parish.queenofangelschicago.org/kairos or e-mail email@example.com with your request.
* * * * *
SUPER BOWL PARTY AT ST. BEN’S
The St. Benedict RCYA (Ravenswood Catholics Young Adults) will present a Super Bowl Party from 4:30 to 11 p.m. Sunday, February 5 at the Social Center, 2215 W. Irving Park Road. Participants must be at least 21 years old and prepared to show a photo I.D. There will be traditional tailgate food and snacks as well as a cash bar (beer, wine, soft drinks) and a large screen television and monitors. A Chili Cook-Off Contest will be held. Bring your entry in a crock-pot and the winner will be chosen during half-time. Tickets are $15 through February 3; $20 at the door. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-588-6484 for more info or to make reservations.