Summertime may bring about a slower pace of life for many of our parishioners, but there are a number of summer events and activities going strong through the summer at Queen of Angels. Reunions for school alumni and former Choristers, a summer choir for high school and college youth, a toiletries drive for the homeless and Theology on Tap faith discussion events for adults are among the programs available during the summer months.
- - - - -
A Queen of Angels Neighborhood Get Together will begin at 7 p.m. Saturday, July 9 at The Piggery, 1625 W. Irving Park Road. Cash bar. Spouses, friends welcome. The event is spearheaded by the Class of 1970 but all Queen of Angels alumni prior to 2005 are welcome.
- - - - -
MAKING A JOYFUL NOISE
- The Queen of Angels Music Ministry invites all high school and college age parishioners to join the summer choir. The choir will sing for the 11 a.m. Mass through August 14. Warm-up begins at 10:30 a.m. in the Lower Church. Following the Mass there will be a 30-minute rehearsal to prepare for the following week. Contact Kent Jager at 773-719-1701.
- The Queen of Angels Choristers invite all choir alumni to celebrate the Choristers’ 10th anniversary on Sunday July 24. Continental breakfast starts at 9:30 a.m. in the Lower Church, followed by rehearsal at 10 a.m. Alumni Choir and Choristers will sing for the 11 a.m. Mass with lunch following in the Lower Church. RSVP to email@example.com.
- - - - -
SUMMER TOILETRIES COLLECTION
The Society of St. Vincent dePaul (SSVD) is collecting travel– and individual-sized toiletries for the Franciscan Outreach Ministry, which runs one of the largest case management programs and shelter for the homeless in Chicago. Larger-sized toiletries are also being collected for Girls and Boys Town, a teen transitional shelter in the Back-of-the-Yards neighborhood. The SSVD wishes everyone a safe and enjoyable summer vacation and asks you to bring home a few souvenirs for the less fortunate. A collection basket is in the Gathering Space at church. Thanks!
- - - - -
SUMMER TALKS: THEOLOGY-ON-TAP
Join the Ravenswood Catholic Young Adults (RCYA) for the annual discussion group, Theology-on-Tap. The event, for 20s and 30s, married and single, brings people together on warm summer evenings to hear speakers talk on various topics of importance to young adults.
This year, St. Andrew will host the series at Mrs. Murphy’s Irish Bistro, 3905 N. Lincoln Ave. All talks take place Wednesday evenings. For more information, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. The schedule follows.
- July 13 -- Mr. Michael Novak will speak on The Roman Missal: What’s Changing at Mass and Why? He is the Parish Resources Editor for World Library Publications where he has been project manager for WLP’s edition of the new Roman Missal translation.
- July 20 -- Dr. Johnpaul Cafiero, OFM will discuss The Spiritual Journey: Reflections on “The Wizard of Oz.” Friar Cafiero is chaplain for the Illinois State Police, District Chicago, and assists at Holy Family Parish in Inverness and St. John in Joliet.
- July 27 -- Fr. Dominic Grassi will talk on Timeshifting: Using Time That We Have to Find God in Our Lives. Father Grassi is a lifelong Chicagoan returning to Theology-on-Tap. He is the author of six books including the Bumping Into God series and is pastor of St. Gertrude Parish.
- August 3 -- Fr. Britto Berchmans will speak on the subject of Emotionally Intelligent Relationships. Father Berchmans is pastor of St. Paul of the Cross Parish in Park Ridge. He speaks extensively on relationships, spirituality, personal growth and marriage.
This is a great way to experience “church” in an intimate group. Join us this summer for evenings of formation, faith, education and fellowship. Hope to see you there!